Friday, March 23, 2007

A Little Food For Thought


A Little Food For Thought
By: Jamieson Wolf
MUSINGS has been a dream of mine for quite some time. In reality, from conception to fruition, MUSINGS has been a project of mine for about three years. That’s a long time to be haunted by a whole lot of Muses; but seeing the magazine completed and out there, with such good feedback, makes me realize that all the hard work was worth it.

But the question remains: Why did I do it? Why did I spend three years brainstorming and roughly two months putting the magazine together, canvassing for submissions, etc? Well, to quote a well known phrase: I had a dream.

I’ve always wanted to do a magazine. The idea has always appealed to me, but I didn’t know how to go about it. How DO you make a magazine? What should it be about? Where is the focus? These were all questions I considered. Having self-published quite a few of my books, I learnt a lot from other writers, friends. I had to teach myself something new. .

MUSINGS has been a dream of mine and I decided to pursue that dream. I wanted to have a magazine, a publication, where those that wanted to be published could be; where the love of the written word was the focus. I didn’t want to leave anything out. I wanted poetry, any kind of fiction, columns, and reviews. There are so many kinds of words out there so why should I limit the magazine to just one kind of literary form?

The truth is that, for whatever reason, my Muse pushed me to make MUSINGS a reality. I’m still not sure why she did it (yep, my Muse is a woman. She’s awfully nice, has tons of ideas, but she can be a liiiitle pushy sometimes) but I’m glad she did.

Because of MUSINGS, I have had the pleasure of meeting and working with some of the best writers I have come to know. Their writing has touched me, moved me, and made me laugh. Perhaps this is why my Muse pushed me to start MUSINGS; to mature, to grow. To live.

And isn’t that the greatest Musing of them all? Food for thought indeed.

No comments: